Chicken Tortilla Soup Minus the Tortillas





I wanted a low carb meal for dinner tonight (more on that later), and I didn't have much time this morning. So I threw together what I had in the kitchen, put it in the crockpot, and it turned out fabulous. I don't have a lot of photos of the prep, as I was running late, headed out the door for a real estate continuing education class in Forsyth County - that I made it to on time, thank the Lord.

When I returned home, the aroma that greeted me opening the door was just delicious...That warm, cumin smell mixed with hints of chili. I had some pretty poblano peppers laid out in the kitchen. So I thought those would be a nice addition, along with some onion and garlic. I cooked that up in the pretty red copper pot David bought me over the weekend. 


My new Red Copper pan 


The poblano is a mild chili pepper, combining a sweetness with a subtle heat.


I found this at our local Market on Limestone.  Great selection of international foods there.


Chicken Tortilla Soup Sans Tortillas

Ingredients

- 2 raw chicken breasts, sliced and diced into approximately 1-inch squares
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- 5 cloves garlic, diced
- Poblano pepper, seeded and cored, cut into 1/2 inch squares
- 10 oz can diced tomatoes, RoTel-Lime Juice & Cilantro Mexican Festival
- 8 oz can tomato sauce, El Pato (Mexican Hot Style)
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 4.5 oz can chopped green chiles, Old El Paso
- 1 tablespoon oregano, dried
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- Sea salt, to taste
- Olive or Avocado oil
- Avocado, sour cream, cilantro and shredded cheddar cheese for garnish

Add the cubed chicken breast, chicken broth, tomatoes, tomato sauce, chiles, oregano, chili powder and cumin with a pinch of salt to the crock pot. Cover and cook on low for about five hours. Within an hour of serving, add the peppers and onion to crockpot. Heat oil on medium-high heat adding onion and pepper first. Cook for about 5 minutes, then add garlic and cook for another 2-3 minutes until fragrant. Pour into the crock pot. Serve topped with diced avocado, cheese and sour cream.  Makes about 6 1-1/2 cup servings.

The back story as to why I'm cooking low carb:

Back in June, when I was having coffee with a friend of mine who looks like a million bucks, I learned about a program that has changed how I live. In other words, it was life changing.  I was having my normal Starbucks protein bento box for breakfast, as I've never been one to miss a meal. I asked her what she was doing, as she was looking terrific. She told me about FASTer Way to Fat Loss. This online program involves intermittent fasting (yes, you heard that right-fasting), carb cycling and a workout accessed via a private portal five days a week. One of the best parts about the program though is the camaraderie with ladies all over the country. Through a private Facebook group, we are accountable to one another, and post at the end of every day a macronutrient snapshot as calculated at MyFitnessPal. We eat whole foods with a goal of balanced macronutrients (macros) and we lift weights. A couple times a week, we do cardio - HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) and sprints (running or spinning/cycling). It's become a lifestyle for me, and in the process, I've lost about 25 pounds. Yay!  I'm happy to answer any questions you have on the program. Because yes, I do get some money if you sign up with my referral. I'll take the money and buy some juice or something. Or maybe some wine.

Popular Posts

Image

Stovall's Beans